Sandsland Reservation - Block Island
Sandsland is a primitive camping area consisting of 3 campsites on 34 acres. It is bordered by State and private land and an area known as the Great Swamp. This is a popular location for Troops to use as a base camp as they enjoy the many activities the Island has to offer. Please note that there is not a Campmaster on duty at Sandsland - direct all questions to the West Bay Scout Shop.
As you may be aware, over the years illegal dumping has been an ongoing issue at Sandsland. We have received numerous complaints from our units as well as from our partner, the Nature Conservancy. In light of this, and based on a request by the Chief of Police, in Fall of 2009 we installed a gate on the road leading to Sandsland. We are happy to report that the gate has greatly limited illegal dumping at Sandsland. As a result of having the road gated units will no longer be able to drive directly into the campsites. There is parking before the gate that will accommodate three vehicles. Thank you for your understanding.
- There are three sites at Sandsland: Minnewashka, Mohawk, and Niantic
- A picnic table and fire ring are provided in each site.
- There is adequate parking for one vehicle per site at the entrance. Additional vehicles are not recommended.
- You should plan on bringing your own firewood
- There is no potable water at Sandsland. You should bring water with you. You may fill water jugs at the Police Station located on Ocean Avenue.
- Deer Ticks can be an issue on Block Island. Please take the proper precautions.
- There are two portable toilets centrally located that the three sites share. They are serviced once a week.
- There are no trash receptacles provided. Please pack out everything you pack in.
- Please note that due to Coast Guard regulations no propane cylinders are allowed on the Ferry. You will need to get propane when you are on the Island.
- Minnewashka (On the right hand side of the road)
- Mohawk (On the top of the hill at the end of the road)
- Niantic (On the left hand side of the road)
Reservations & Pricing
Fees are based on a nightly basis, $75/night for Narragansett Council Units and $100/night for out of council units.
There are many activities to enjoy on Block Island, some of the more popular are:
- Kayaking: New Harbor Kayaks offers discounts to Scouts- Sands Payne -466-5572
- Conservation Projects: See below for contact information
- Nature Conservancy: Scott Cummings: 401.466.2129
- Town Of New Shoreham: Nancy Dodge (Town Manager): 401.466.3210
- State Beaches
- Salt and Fresh Water Fishing
- Nature Photography
Getting to Block Island
Several Ferry services are available. Reservations are suggested. For more information contact the ferry companies directly.
Ferry Service to Old Harbor
Ferry Service to New Harbor
Montauk Harbor, NY to Block Island - Summer Only (Viking Fleet) (No Cars)
Directions to Sandsland from Old Harbor
Exit from the Boat and go directly to the street (Water Street). Go right and take the first left onto Chapel Street and continue to the end. Take a left onto Old Town Road and continue over the hill past the Town Hall, then take a left onto Connecticut Avenue. Sandsland is located at the end of Connecticut Avenue.
Directions to Sandsland from New Harbor
Exit from the boat and continue to the Street (Ocean Avenue). Continue on Ocean Avenue until you reach Connecticut Avenue. Take a right onto Connecticut Avenue. Sandsland is located at the end of Connecticut Avenue.